What is Erasmus? Who can apply? Application Form

Freaquently Asking Questions?

What is Erasmus+ Erasmus Programme?
Erasmus Programmeis the Higher Education section of the European Community action programme called “Erasmus+”. Erasmusis a EU funded programme which contains a wide range of measures designed to support the European activities of higher education institutions, including mobility and exchange of their students and teaching staff. The programme is open to the 28 Member States of the European Union, the EFTA and EEA countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and the candidate countries Turkey and Macedonia.

Erasmus Programme is the EU’s flagship education and training programme, enabling two hundred thousand students to study and work abroad each year, as well as supporting co-operation actions between higher education institutions across Europe. It caters not only for students, but also for professors and business staff who want to teach abroad and for university staff who want to be trained abroad.

Actions include support for:

For students:

* studying abroad
* working abroad
* linguistic preparation

For university/higher education institute staff:

* teaching abroad
* receiving training abroad

For universities/ higher education institutes:

* Strategic Partnership Projects
* Knowledge Alliances Projects
*Sector Skills Alliances Projects

* Academic and structural networks

For enterprises:

* student placements
* teaching abroad
* university cooperation

Who can participate in ERASMUS ?
To participate in the Erasmus Programme, you must fulfill the following conditions: You are a student and enrolled in a formal programme of study at higher education level leading to a degree or a diploma (including doctoral level) in one of the participating countries. You are a citizen of one the participating countries (or are recognised as having an official status of refugee or stateless person or permanent resident). You have completed at least the first year of your university studies.

How do I participate in ERASMUS and where can I go?
If you fulfill the Erasmus application conditions, you should contact Munzur University International Office. The office will provide you with information on all the exchanges your institution is involved in, i.e. which universities, which faculties, in which countries etc. You can also check the website of Erasmus partner institutions. You can study at selected partner institutions of your home university in one of the thirty participating countries. There are a certain amount of places and grants available at each host university which are given to the students after a selection process organized by Munzur University.

How long can I go and when?
In the framework of the Erasmus Programme, you can spend between three months and a full academic year abroad. In general, students spend either the first or the second semester, or a whole year abroad. Academic calendars can vary in the different countries.

Are there any deadlines I need to respect?
There are application deadlines for Erasmus. You should follow the announcements of International Office carefully since each year the deadlines are changing. The applictions submitted after the deadline are not accepted.

Can I apply for an ERASMUS grant?
Yes. Erasmus Programme provides mobility grants to many students. These grants are intended as a contribution towards covering the extra costs involved in studying abroad, such as travel expenses, language preparation costs, higher general costs of living in the host country. Erasmusgrant covers the period of study abroad (from three months to a full academic year).

How do I apply for the ERASMUS grant?
The application procedure for an Erasmus grant varies from country to country. Contact the international relations office of your home university about the grant application.

How high is the ERASMUS grant?
The awarded amount varies significantly from country to country. In any case, don’t expect a full scholarship. Erasmusgrant is intended as contribution towards covering the difference in living expenses abroad. It can be combined with additional funds provided by the university, by the member state or by other public or private bodies. Each year the amount of grants change according to the countries as well. Please check the web site for outgoing students for the updated grants.

Do I have to pay university fees abroad?
It is a condition of Erasmusprogramme that no fees (for tuition, registration, examinations, access to laboratory and library facilities etc.) have to be paid to the host institution. However, small fees may be charged for costs, such as insurance, student unions, the use of photocopiers, laboratory products etc., on an equal basis with local students. Where appropriate, normal fees are payable to the home institution.

Will I receive academic recognition at home for my study period abroad?
Yes. Erasmusstudy period is an integral part of the programme of study at your home university. Full academic recognition must given for the study period abroad, as decided upon in the Learning Agreement.

What is a Learning Agreement?
Erasmusstudents are expected to complete a Learning Agreement to be signed by themselves and the home and host institutions. The Learning Agreement is an informal contract that indicates precisely what courses/modules you will be studying. It should be completed well before you arrive at the host institution. Subsequent modifications to the Learning Agreement are permitted as long as they are agreed by all parties concerned. At the end of the study period abroad, the host university will provide the exchange student as well as the sending university with a transcript reporting the results obtained in the agreed programme of study.

What is ECTS?
To facilitate academic recognition, the majority of European universities have adopted the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). This system provides a common scale for measuring in credits the student workload required to complete course units (for example, one full year of studies generally amounts to 60 credits). Your Learning Agreements will be prepared by using ECTS. Please do not confuse Munzur University local credits with ECTS. At Munzur University all the courses are designed according to 30 ECTS per semester.

How well do I have to speak the language of the country I will go to?
You must have acquired sufficient knowledge of the language in which the courses you will attend will be taught. This can be through school qualification in a foreign language, foreign language courses at university or simply by having spent some time living abroad.

Are there any preparatory languages courses?
Yes, in general, you can follow preparatory language courses either at your home university before your departure or at your host university before the beginning of your study period abroad. In addition, host institutions of countries, where the national language is less widely used and taught, often offer Language Courses to incoming ERASMUS students.

Who can help me with information about accommodation?
Finding accommodation is one of the first steps in your ERASMUS experience. Often the cheapest alternative is to have a room on campus. You should contact the campus accommodation office of your host institution about this as soon as possible. Both Erasmus offices of your home and host university country might be able to help you also. You can also ask at your host university if they have any special places where they post accomodation ads. Generally, there are ads in the local press, too.

How will the ERASMUS study period abroad affect my employment prospects?
According to recent studies, your prospects for employment increase slightly if you spend some time abroad. Many former ERASMUS students, and especially long-period ERASMUS students (6 to 12 months), tend to succeed in finding jobs and work tasks linked to the use of the international competences acquired or reinforced during the study period abroad, for example language, professional knowledge of the host country, first hand knowledge of the host culture and society, etc